Aadhaar card is the single most important form of ID in India. You can’t afford to misplace your Aadhaar card. But unfortunately, it is possible for you to lose your Aadhaar card. We know how stressful it can be. If you are reading this article today, it’s safe to assume you might be in a similar situation. The Government of India has made certain provisions for such situations. You can easily get a duplicate copy of Aadhaar card using various ways. We will discuss the same in this article today.
What is a duplicate Aadhaar card?
If you have lost or misplaced your original Aadhaar card, you can use UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) to get a duplicate Aadhaar card copy. It is a new copy of your original Aadhaar card. You can download the soft copy online. Print the soft copy for regular use.
You can also refer to the duplicated Aadhaar card as e-Aadhaar.
How to apply for duplicate Aadhaar card?
To easily obtain your duplicate Aadhaar card copy, make sure your Aadhaar is linked to your mobile number.
- Visit UIDAI’s official website – https://uidai.gov.in/
- Click on ‘My Aadhaar’ option and then choose ‘Download Aadhaar’ from the drop- down. A new tab will open for you.
- Now, again click on ‘Download Aadhaar’ box. Enter relevant details like your Aadhaar number and then the captcha. If you don’t have your Aadhaar number, you can also enter the 16-digit Virtual ID or the 28-digit Enrollment ID.
- Click on ‘send OTP.’ You can also choose to get a masked Aadhaar copy here.
- Post entering the OTP, click on the ‘verify & download’ button.
Your e-Aadhaar or the duplicate Aadhaar card copy will be downloaded in a PDF format on your laptop or phone. This PDF will be password protected. You will get instructions for the password on the portal itself. It can be your PIN code or date of birth.
Now, you know how to get a duplicate Aadhaar card online. Download a soft copy easily.
Documents required for a duplicate Aadhaar card
You don’t need any additional documents to download a duplicate Aadhaar card copy online. Your information is already stored on the UIDAI website. Moreover, you verify the information by entering your Aadhaar card/Virtual ID/Enrollment number.
If you are opting for the Enrollment number field, make sure you have saved your acknowledgement slip when you got your original Aadhaar card made. The acknowledgement slip has the Enrollment number.
Now, your duplicate Aadhaar card copy is a soft copy. In many places, you might have to show a hard copy of your ID proof. Therefore, it’s important to get your Aadhaar card reprinted.
How can you reprint your Aadhaar card?
If you are thinking ‘how can I reprint my Aadhaar card?’, we have the detailed steps for you below:
- Visit UIDAI’s website and click on ‘My Aadhaar’ section.
- Now select ‘Order Aadhaar PVC card’ from the drop-down.
- A new tab will pop up. Click on ‘Order Aadhaar PVC card’.
- You will have to enter your Aadhaar number or Enrolment ID. Enter the right captcha. In case, your mobile number is not registered, you should click on ‘My mobile number is not registered.’ In that case, you will have to enter your mobile number additionally.
- Click on ‘Send OTP’ button.
- If your number is registered, you will be asked to log in to the portal first.
- You will get the option to preview your details. If all the details are correct, proceed.
- Rs. 50 (including GST and speed post charges) is charged for the PVC Aadhaar card. Don’t forget to click the check box and agree to the Terms & Conditions. After that, click on ‘Make Payment.’
- There are multiple modes of payment available including Cards (debit/credit). Wallets (Airtel Wallet, Freecharge, etc.), Net Banking, UPI, and Paytm.
- Enter your details and complete the payment.
- Download the acknowledgement to track the delivery of your PVC Aadhaar card.
The Aadhaar reprint cost is Rs. 50 only (including GST and delivery charges). The PVC card comes with many features like a secure QR code, hologram, guilloche pattern, and ghost image & micro text. Additionally, the card is convenient to carry in your wallet, like your other payment cards. It is extremely durable for long-term use.
How to check Aadhaar card reprint status?
Follow the above steps to reach My Aadhaar tab. Click on ‘Check Aadhaar PVC card order status.’ Enter your SRN number. You can locate the same in your acknowledgement slip. Enter the captcha and hit submit.
You will be able to check the status.
If your mobile number is not linked with your Aadhaar card, you can get the card over the phone. And also by visiting an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
Steps to get a duplicate Aadhaar card copy over the phone
- Call 1800-180-1947 or dial 1947 to connect with UIDAI. Numbers are toll-free.
- Follow the IVR instructions to speak to an executive. Explain your issue and request a duplicate copy.
- A few questions will be asked to verify your identity. You request is processed after verification.
The new duplicate card will be delivered to you at your provided address via speed post.
Offline -Steps to get a duplicate Aadhaar card copy at an Enrolment Centre
- Visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. You can locate one online.
- Ask for the Aadhaar Correction Form and fill it with accurate details.
- Submit the form and request a duplicate copy. In case, you don’t know your Aadhaar number, the authorities will use your biometrics to verify.
- You will receive the new card at the given address.