Social media can sometimes be overwhelming when used without a break. It is advised to deactivate your social media handles once in a while for taking care of your physical and mental health. While deactivation might help you in a few cases, sometimes it becomes necessary to delete a social account.
There are many reasons which can push you to delete a social media handle. Maybe the platform is not just relevant to you anymore or it takes too much time to load content. In such cases, you need to know how to delete your account or run a network speed test to check your network’s speed.
The process of deleting social handles varies for every platform. Today, we will discuss how to permanently delete a Twitter account. So, let’s get started.
Deactivating and Deleting your Twitter account – The difference
People often confuse the deactivation of an account with deletion. That is not the case.
Deactivating an account simply means temporarily not using the account. Your data and your profile will not be viewable by other users. But your profile data will still be present in the platform’s database. You can log in and activate your account any time you want by just logging in.
On the other hand, when you delete an account, it is permanent. Your data along with your profile will be deleted from the platform. If you wish to use the platform again, you will have to create a new user ID.
When we talk about a Twitter account, deactivation of an account is the first step in the process of deleting an account. By deactivating a Twitter account, you initiate a 30-day window. In these 30 days, if your account stays inactive, meaning you don’t login in your Twitter account, the account will be permanently deleted.
So, if you are wondering ‘how to delete my Twitter account permanently,’ you need to first figure out how to deactivate your Twitter account.
Don’t worry. You can read the steps to deactivate your Twitter account further in the article.
How to deactivate your Twitter account on PC?
Follow the below steps to deactivate your Twitter account from your PC:
- Open Twitter web and login.
- Click on the More icon (…).
- From there, click on Settings & Privacy > Your account > Deactivate your account.
- Read carefully about the account deactivation process.
- After reviewing, click on deactivate.
- You will have to enter your account password here. Enter the same and confirm by clicking on the Deactivate button.
The process for deactivating an account on iPhone and Android is similar.
How to deactivate your Twitter account on Android and iPhone?
Read on to know the steps:
- Open the Twitter app.
- Tap on the profile icon present at the top left corner of the app screen.
- From the drop down, tap on ‘Settings & Privacy.’
- Now select ‘Account’ > ‘Deactivate your account.’
- Read the info and scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Tap on ‘Deactivate.’
- Enter your password and tap on the deactivate account button to confirm the request.
If you don’t login to in your account for 30 days, your account will be permanently deleted. Above are the steps on how to delete Twitter account permanently on Android phones and iPhones. We hope the steps helped you understand the process from deactivation to deletion of a Twitter account.
Pointers to keep in mind before deactivating and deleting your Twitter account
These are a few pointers you should keep in mind before deactivating and deleting your Twitter account.
- 30 days of inactivity after deactivation will lead to permanent deletion of your Twitter account. If you log in these 30 days, your account will be easily restored.
- Your information on search engines won’t be erased even after you delete your account.
- Even if you delete your account, mentions for your account will still exist on Twitter and others can view them. But these mentions won’t have any link to your profile as it won’t be available.
- If you want to download your Twitter data, you need to raise a request before deactivating the account.
- Your messages won’t be deleted if you just deactivate your account.
- If your account keeps getting reactivated, it is probably because you have given third party apps the access to your account. Revoke these accesses before deactivating the account.
- In case, your Twitter account is suspended or locked due to some reason and you wish to deactivate the same, you need to contact Twitter for unlocking your account. Only after the account is unlocked, you can deactivate and delete the account.
The above steps will help you to permanently delete your Twitter account. If you change your mind about deletion, you can always restore the account during the 30-day window.
Make sure you have a good wifi connection to initiate any such process. If you don’t have a broadband connection, we suggest you keep enough mobile data to complete the process without interruptions. You can do a mobile recharge for data or do a broadband recharge online for your network providers easily.