A large percentage of users these days prefer paying for their groceries, online shopping items, travel tickets, etc., with their credit card. If you can manage your finances well and pay your credit card dues on time every month, credit cards actually help in building your credit score. It builds your credibility with financial institutions. Getting a loan becomes extremely easy for you with a good credit score. So, if you have just got your new credit card delivered at your home, here are a few things you should know about. People use a credit card for multiple types of online payment because it is secure and safe. Same as a debit card, credit card also has a 4-digit PIN number unique to every user. This blog will take you through credit card PIN generation and more.
What is credit card PIN?
A credit card and its transactions are guarded by a PIN system and 4-digit chip. The 4-digit number is a unique identification number which is assigned to every card issued to a user.
The PIN is required by the users to make every single transaction using the card. Be it an ATM cash withdrawal or an online shopping portal, you will have to mention your credit card PIN to approve the transaction. Thanks to this system in place, the transactions made by credit cards are safe. It is highly recommended to never share your PIN with anyone else.
Activate your credit card
Your credit card kit will also include a 4-digit PIN. This PIN is issued by the bank for your card. The banks recommend changing this PIN as soon as you get your new credit card.
You can use your credit card only when you generate a new PIN. Given that most of the cards are not sent in active state and only require generation of a PIN for activation, the process has become extremely easy.
Earlier cards were not sent in active state. Users would have to do a separate card activation process and then generate a new PIN for the card. Now, thanks to green PIN or self PIN generation, credit card PIN generation and changing credit card PIN has become very convenient.
How to generate credit card PIN?
Users can generate a credit card PIN either by going to an ATM or by using their net banking account.
Generate credit card PIN via net banking
- Keep your online banking credentials ready. Login to your net banking account online.
- Select ‘credit card’ option. The options name might differ for each bank’s net banking page.
- You will be able to see a ‘Change PIN’ option. Click on it.
- Once you request for PIN change, the bank will send an OTP to your registered phone number.
- Enter the OTP and proceed.
- Now enter a PIN which you can remember. Make sure it’s not your DOB or classic 123… PIN. Choose 4 random numbers.
- You will have to re-enter the PIN.
- Now click on ‘Submit’. Your bank will let you know that your new PIN is generated.
Generate credit card PIN at an ATM
You can also generate a NEW PIN by visiting a nearby ATM. Here, you will have to enter your bank generated credit card PIN after inserting your credit card. Post that, click on ‘Create PIN using OTP’ option. An OTP will be sent to your phone for credit card PIN change. Enter the same and proceed to credit card PIN generation.
How to change credit card PIN?
You should change your credit card PIN frequently.
Now that you know how credit card PIN generation works, let’s understand how to change your credit card PIN.
Change credit card PIN using net banking
- Login to your net banking account.
- Go to Credit card section and find Change PIN option.
- Enter the OTP sent to your phone.
- Now you can enter the new PIN and hit submit.
- Your bank will send you an alert mentioning your PIN has been changed.
Change your credit card PIN using ATM
- Head over to your nearest bank ATM.
- You will have to enter your current ATM PIN.
- Then, click on ‘Change PIN’.
- You will get an OTP on your phone.
- Enter the PIN you want.
- Hit submit and your PIN will be changed.
Once you have generated/changed your PIN, make sure to never share it with anyone. Also, don’t share your credit card details via SMS, mail, etc., and note down your PIN on a paper.
Additionally, keep a check on your credit card bill and transactions to identify any discrepancies.
Looking for the best credit card offers? Visit Airtel Finance today and apply for the incredible Airtel Axis Bank credit card!