Digitalization of the economy has made our lives more convenient and efficient. We no longer have to wait for long hours in a queue to pay bills or make recharges. You can do all of that and a lot more online instantly. Now, not just your daily requirements, things have been made easier on the road with the FASTag technology implemented at national highways. It is the Indian government’s way to promote cashless modes of payment on toll gates in the country. To further this objective, it is mandatory for all vehicles to have FASTag affixed on them from February 15, 2021. So, let us understand more about FASTag recharge and how to get FASTag for your vehicle online.
What is FASTag?
FASTag is a Radio Frequency Identification Technology (RFID) that is operated by 23 different banks, governed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). It was introduced by the Government of India in October 2017, to facilitate electronic toll collection across India. It eliminates the long queues, jams and manual collection of tax at toll plazas. That way, the RFID technology will save you time and effort in the long run.
Benefits of FASTag
- FASTag allows seamless automatic payment of tolls without any manual intervention.
- It makes it easier for you to track all your toll expenses.
- You can receive SMS alerts on your mobile number for all transactions done with FASTag through the Airtel app.
- It saves time and effort by eliminating long queues at toll plazas.
- FASTag is beneficial for the environment as it reduces excess usage of paper and fuel.
How does FASTag work?
FASTag was made compulsory for all vehicles sold after December 1, 2017 to encourage digital payments and avoid congestion at toll booths. It is a sticker fixed on your vehicle’s windscreen. The reader at the FASTag-enabled toll plaza will automatically scan it and process the payment. You are not required to stop your car to pay the toll fee. Instead, you can keep driving, and the fee amount will be debited from your prepaid FASTag account. The RFID technology can scan the FASTag card while it’s in motion by emitting a signal to the FASTag card. However, you need to make sure your FASTag card is linked with a digital wallet or savings account to pay the toll fee.
How to recharge FASTag?
You can link your FASTag account to Airtel Payments Bank and recharge with the My Airtel app or internet banking. Mentioned below is the process to register and do your FASTag recharge.
- Go to the Airtel Payments Bank page
- Select the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC)
- Fill in your Vehicle Registration Number
- Upload the front and backside of your Registration Certificate (RC)
- Click on ‘Next’ and make the payment for FASTag through Airtel wallet or internet banking
- Now you can manage and do your FASTag recharge
How to check FASTag Balance?
When your FASTag is directly linked to your digital wallet/savings account, your available amount becomes your FASTag balance. There are two ways to check your FASTag account balance:
With Airtel Payments Bank:
- Login to the Airtel Payments Bank webpage.
- On the home screen, you can view details of your account balance.
With Missed Call Functionality:
- You can give a missed call to the number 01204725873.
- An SMS would be sent to you with available balance details.
The government has made it mandatory for all travelers to get the FASTag fitted in their vehicles. You will not have to lower the speed of your vehicle and keep moving at the toll plazas without stopping or slowing down. Without a FASTag, you will have to pay double the toll amount. To encourage the popularity of electronic toll payment, the government plans to transform FASTag into a multi-utility payment tool.