Getting a FASTag is essential for your vehicle if you travel through highways or interstate frequently. Introduced by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), FASTag is a seamless way to electronically pay toll charges.
It also helps you to take part in the cashless economy of the country and reduces your dependence upon cash. Furthermore, it goes on to improve efficiency of our highways, reduces fuel consumption. It is a welcome step towards a more digital world.
These tags can be obtained from various places such as Common Service Centres (CSC), banks, and petrol pumps, among others. You can use your vehicle or car number to register for FASTag.
FASTag works with the help of Radio Frequency Identification Technology (RFID). It scans a code pasted on the vehicle’s windshield. Thereafter, the chargeable amount gets deducted automatically.
Is FASTag recharge with vehicle number safe?
Using your registered vehicle’s number for FASTag registration is a very important step. However, you should also note that it is a simple procedure. Therefore, you can relax. Since every registered vehicle in India has a unique number plate, your FASTag is quite safe. Other users cannot use the prepaid balance you upload in your account.
Now, the Government of India has recently introduced a new set of FASTag rules.
Therefore, before you recharge FASTag with car number, you should stay updated with the rules. Let us now take a closer look at the Government mandated guidelines.
FASTag Rules in India
- All vehicles must have a FASTag affixed on the windscreen to do away with logjams at toll plazas. The tag is mandatory for vehicles from 15th February 2021.
- A FASTag that is not serviceable due to damage caused to the RFID or an insufficient account balance will be required to pay double toll charges.
- If your vehicle enters a FASTag lane without a FASTag, you’ll be liable to pay double the toll amount.
- From April 2020, the government has made FASTag mandatory to acquire third party insurance for vehicles even if they won’t be travelling on a highway.
- Vehicles sold since 2017 have a pre-fitted FASTag installed. The owner has to ensure that they have sufficient FASTag balance to pay the toll fee.
- Owners of older vehicles will have to purchase a FASTag themselves to make electronic payments on highway toll plazas.
Documents Required to recharge FASTag with vehicle number:
The following are the documents required for recharge FASTag with car number:
- Identity proof documents such as Voter’s ID Card, Passport, Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, etc.
- Address proof documents such as Passport, Aadhaar Card, Driving License, etc.
- Registration Certificate (RC)
- Passport-sized photograph
- KYC documents
How to apply for FASTag with Vehicle Number?
Now, it is understandable that you will be eager to recharge your FASTag. ‘How to recharge FASTag with car number’ or ‘how to recharge FASTag with vehicle number’ will probably be on your mind.
Here’s a list of quick and simple steps that you can follow to register your FASTag.
Register with a Bank:
- Visit the website of the FASTag issuing bank.
- To create your FASTag account, fill in your vehicle registration number.
- Provide the documents required for your FASTag account.
- Add money to your FASTag account via net banking, UPI, or your credit/debit card.
Register through Airtel Thanks App:
- Visit the Airtel Payments Bank page on the Airtel Thanks App.
- Go to the FASTag page to apply.
- Enter your Vehicle Registration Number.
- Upload the front and backside of your Registration Number (RC).
- Click on ‘Next’ and pay the amount you wish to upload to FASTag through Airtel Wallet or internet banking.
- Your Airtel FASTag registration is complete!
How to recharge FASTag with Vehicle Number?
The FASTag recharge process via the Airtel Thanks App is quick and convenient. Below are the steps to make the recharge online.
- On the Airtel Thanks App, go to the Airtel Payments Bank page
- Click on the FASTag recharge option
- Fill in your vehicle number and find your FASTag
- Enter the amount and recharge your FASTag through Airtel wallet or internet banking
- Complete the payment process.
- Your FASTag recharge is complete.
How to Check FASTag Balance After Recharging?
To check the account balance on your FASTag, visit the issuing bank’s website or app. After that, you will soon receive a confirmation SMS/email of successful recharge of your FASTag account. You can also raise a complaint to your FASTag issuing bank if your recharge isn’t processed. A representative will soon get back to you and attend to your complaint.
When your FASTag is linked to your Airtel wallet/savings account, your available balance becomes your FASTag balance. There are two ways to check your balance on the Airtel Thanks App:
Airtel Payments Bank web page: Login to Airtel Payments Bank and view your available FASTag balance.
Missed Call Facility: Give a missed call to the number 01204725873 to get an SMS containing your account balance information.
In conclusion, if you still haven’t got a FASTag installed on your vehicle, it is time you obtained one now. Avoid violation of the FASTag rules with Airtel Thanks app.
Over 20 banks are issuing FASTag online to vehicle owners in India. All you have to do is enter the required details and your vehicle registration number, upload documents, and pay. It’s that simple, so do it today!