In India, telecommunication companies offer Mobile Number Portability (MNP) to their subscribers, enabling them to switch from one mobile operator to another without changing their phone numbers. However, most mobile operators will require you to go through several steps and service executives to check your porting status, which hinders those trying to change the operator. Besides this, users may also have to deal with service interruptions (downtime), excessive documentation, and ambiguous information about the process as they plan to port numbers.
If a subscriber is dissatisfied with their current mobile operator or for any other reason, MNP allows them to transfer their numbers from one mobile operator to another. Subscribers’ mobile numbers will remain unchanged after porting to a new network. Today, changing one’s phone number can be extremely difficult since it is linked to numerous essential services, such as credit cards, banks, Aadhar cards, and multiple digital wallets. In this scenario, MNP is of great convenience.
With its wide coverage and range of prepaid and postpaid plans, Airtel is one of the most popular telecom operators in India. While the MNP process is underway, Airtel helps you stay up-to-date on the progress so that any service interruptions are minimized.
How to port your number to Airtel postpaid?
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) mandates that the maximum time to port your number should never exceed four days, and, as a result, you are often left wondering about your MNP status throughout this period. If you wish to port your number to Airtel Postpaid, this task of MNP status checking becomes relatively seamless and, too, with the touch of a button!
All you need to do is follow the five simple steps mentioned below to have a hassle-free MNP experience with Airtel’s end-to-end assistance:
Select the Airtel plan that suits you best
The first and foremost step is to visit the Airtel website and choose your desired Airtel postpaid plan. There are several postpaid monthly rental plans available for people who wish to port their number to Airtel. With these Airtel postpaid plans, you can avail of Airtel platinum benefits as well as enjoy unlimited downloads.
Confirm the Port-in request
After you have selected the desired Airtel postpaid plan, you need to confirm the port-in request so that your MNP process can be initiated. This can be done by sending an SMS to 1900 to generate your Unique Porting Code (UPC). This will automatically assign a dedicated Airtel executive to take care of the entire process for you. You need valid address and identity proofs such as a passport, driving license, voter ID card, ration card, or a photo credit card to begin with the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) service.
Experience fast & free SIM delivery
You will be visited by a representative from Airtel at your address and receive your new SIM card at home. You will also be guided through the entire MNP process by your Airtel executive, making your Airtel MNP experience as seamless as possible. You can also port your connection at a physical Airtel store if you want to go through the online process. You will need your address and ID proofs and mobile phone. Airtel’s website allows you to find the nearest store by searching “Airtel store near me”.
Check your MNP status
After you receive your new Airtel postpaid SIM, you have to wait no more than two days for it to be active. You can check your MNP status on the Airtel Thanks App via your smartphone during this period. The app allows you to sign in with your port-in number. Your progress can be tracked live from the home screen. The app can be easily downloaded on both iOS and Android devices.
Insert your new SIM card
The final step is to insert your new SIM card once transferring your mobile number is complete. Following this, your new Airtel postpaid SIM will be active, so you will need to remove your existing mobile phone SIM card and insert your new Airtel SIM. If you are connecting to Airtel prepaid, you will get immediate credit in your new SIM card for the first recharge you choose.
Are there any rules to be followed?
There are a few rules that are to be kept in mind if you are opting for Mobile Number Portability (MNP):
- Ninety days same Network rule: If you haven’t stayed with the same network for 90 consecutive days, you can’t port your number to Airtel.
- No outstanding dues rule: There should not be any outstanding bills when you are porting to Airtel if you are a postpaid customer. There is another charge of Rs.50-100 that should be paid and used during the three days of porting.
- No balance carry forward rule: This rule states that prepaid users will not be able to carry forward their current balance if they port to Airtel from Vodafone or any other prepaid network. Thus, ensure the balance is used during the process of porting.
Here are some of the issues that you may face while opting for the portability process and their solutions:
- A guarantee that the MNP process will be completed within 48 hours: Often, the estimated time needed to complete your MNP process is unclear. For some mobile operators, the process can take 24 hours to a few days, so users hesitate to port their numbers. If you are porting to Airtel Postpaid, however, you are assured of a 48-hour porting time frame.
- Minimal downtime period: The downtime period is the amount of time that your current SIM card will be out of service throughout the process of porting your mobile number. Most people hesitate to proceed with the MNP process because of long periods of service interruption, so they simply choose to get a new SIM card from a mobile operator of their choice. With Airtel, however, you can rest assured you will experience zero downtime during the daytime and only a few minutes of downtime during the nighttime.
- Customer-friendly Airtel Thanks App: Some users face a high level of discomfort going through too many tiring digital processes during your MNP process, such as an MNP status check, making online payments, or even purchasing new plans from a new mobile operator. The process of transferring your numbers to Airtel is as simple as downloading the Airtel Thanks App on your smartphone and beginning your process. You can also check your ported status on a single platform.
- Seamless and minimal documentation process: Another hassle most users encounter during their MNP is the need for lengthy and tedious documentation. Several documents are required by some mobile operators in addition to multiple proofs of ID and addresses just to begin the process of porting a mobile number. The only documents required for porting to Airtel are a photo ID and an address proof, along with your existing mobile number. That’s how easy it is!
- Assistance in choosing the correct plan: Airtel offers a range of attractive plans, the most recent of which is the Airtel Black plan. The plan comes with two offers: Offer 1: Airtel Xstream Box worth Rs. 3999 at no extra cost; Offer 2: Create your plan where you can pick a service of your choice plus get 30 free days when you add a new fiber, DTH or postpaid connection. Apart from the low rentals, the major advantage of the Airtel Black plan is that you get one bill for different services, a dedicated relationship manager and call pick-up in 60 seconds.
Nevertheless, rest assured that the executive will provide you with any assistance you require.
Since Airtel has introduced a seamless service for porting mobile numbers, many users have switched to Airtel Postpaid. They promise faster speeds and almost unlimited downloads. In addition, since the Airtel Thanks App lets you track the porting status of your number, all the barriers to MNP that had previously prevented users from porting their numbers have been removed. With a month-end bill payment option and no daily data limit, you can quickly and automatically convert your existing mobile number into an Airtel postpaid number so that you can take advantage of the several premium services that it offers.
T&C apply. Visit airtel.in/tnc (Free SIM delivery)