Amazon Alexa also simply known as Alexa is your virtual assistant and can operate everywhere, from your bedroom to the living room. Alexa controls a smart home and let’s say, quite nicely. Just say the command and you can control your living room lights, media centre’s volume, switching channels on your TV, and so much more. If you are planning to add Alexa to your home and connect it to your television, you have tumbled across the right piece of literature. Our today’s blog includes detailed steps to connect Alexa with TV, set top box, and other devices.
So, let’s dive right into it.
How to connect Alexa with TV?
There are a few pre-requisites to connect Alexa with your TV. First being, an Alexa smart speaker. Then, a compatible TV or an Amazon Fire TV stick. In short, your existing home setup should be able to support Alexa. Smart TVs like Samsung, LG, Sony, etc., are perfect for setting up Alexa due to their in-built features. If you don’t have a smart TV, an Amazon Fire TV stick can replace that need and make your TV compatible with Alexa.
You can also set up Alexa with a generic smart TV.
Other than that, our Airtel Xstream Box is also compatible with Alexa and can be connected easily. We will discuss further steps in this article.
Now that we have the pre-requisites clear, let’s move on to the steps.
How to connect TV with Alexa – generic smart TV?
- Download the Alexa app on your Android or iOS device.
- Open the app and locate the Devices tab. It is present at the bottom of the screen.
- Now tap on the + button at the upper right corner of the app screen and then choose Add device. This step will help you add a device to control using Alexa.
- Scroll and select TV. Find your smart TV brand and choose that. For example: if you are using a OnePlus TV, choose OnePlus under smart TV brand.
- Follow the app specific instructions to complete the setup process. This will include voice setup etc.
Once the setup is complete, you can test the virtual assistant by giving Alexa specific commands to control smart TV with Alexa.
Connect an Amazon Fire TV stick with Alexa
Here again, you need the Alexa app. Please download it.
- Open the Alexa app and tap on more tab present at the bottom of the app screen.
- Tap on settings.
- Scroll down and choose TV & Video.
- Here, you can either choose Fire TV or Roku. Choose Fire TV.
- Now select Link your Alexa device.
- You might have to give your Fire TV login information. Follow the steps and your Fire TV and Alexa set up will be complete.
Now that we have cleared your basic query, let’s also look at how you can connect Airtel Xstream Box with Alexa.
Many of the users these days are going for android boxes to stream OTT content along with DTH set top box on their regular TV. Having Alexa to control your android box smart and your TV without a smart home setup is definitely amazing.
Let’s look at the steps.
How to connect Airtel Xstream Box with Alexa Echo Dot?
- Open the Alexa app on your phone.
- Go to the left corner of the screen and tap on the 3 bars present there.
- Now tap on Skills and Games.
- You need search for Airtel skill in the search bar.
- Once you find it, tap ‘enable to use.’
- Post this, say ‘Alexa, ask Airtel to link my account.’
- And voila, your Airtel Xstream Box will be linked to your Alexa.
But remember, you can’t perform all TV functions with Alexa and Airtel Xtsream connection. You can only change the channels, control the volume, and get more information on TV shows. You cannot switch on and off your Airtel Xstream Box by using Alexa voice commands.
These advanced features are only limited to smart TVs, Fire TV, and Roku devices.
Once you have completed the setup, here are a few commands you can try out after connecting Alexa to your TV.
- Alexa, Turn ON/OFF (insert TV name)
- Alexa, Turn the Volume UP/DOWN on the (insert TV name)
- Alexa, Switch the input to HDMI 1 on the (insert TV name)
- Alexa, Mute the (insert TV name)
- Alexa, watch (insert show’s name) on (insert OTT platform name)
- Alexa, Play/Pause on (insert TV name)
These commands may differ amongst different TV manufacturers. Please check with your smart TV manufacturer for more information on Alexa commands.